Nelson is an Associate Director and heads our Construction + Projects division along with Mark Yum. Nelson practices at both the front-end and back-end of the project life cycle.
At the front-end, Nelson provides advice in relation to risk management, insurance, development approvals, funding, procurement, tenders and WH&S compliance. During project delivery and at the back-end, Nelson advices on dispute prevention, ongoing contract management, defect claims and the effective and efficient resolution to disputes.
Nelson also has an extensive commercial litigation background including corporate insolvency, bankruptcy, professional negligence, competition law, trade practices, corporations and significant property, equity and trusts litigation.
Nelson is a Lecturer in Law at Western Sydney University and has lectured in commercial law, property law, equity and trusts, alternative dispute resolution, planning and environment law and administrative law.
Areas of Experience
- Front-End expertise
- Contract drafting and negotiation: construction contracts, tripartite agreements, consultancy and management agreements, development and joint venture agreements
- Land use planning and property development;
- Back-End Expertise
- Disputes concerning timing, programming, variations, contract management, defects and negligence claims
- Complex construction contract litigation concerning termination disputes, recovery of security and assessment of damages
- Building and Construction Industry Security of Payments Act in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria
- Contractor’s Debt Act and Home Building Act and Home Warranty litigation
- Defended defects claims by Owners Corporations
- Alternative dispute resolution; including referral, dispute resolution boards, expert determination, arbitration, mediation and facilitator.
- High Court of Australia;
- Supreme Court of New South Wales